T4, T4A and RL-1 forms
The year end tax slip service has been updated and these instructions are for reference only.
You can use the payroll service to create year-end tax forms for your employees. This guide will walk you through creating the documents and submitting them to the right tax authorities.
Before you Begin
- Review your YTD Journal and Summary before generating your slips. These can be found under REPORTS>YTD. Change your payroll year to the tax year you want to report on and click “Create New Report”
- Login to you CRA My Business Account and MRQ My Account for Business to get the amounts received by CRA/MRQ for payroll remittances for the tax year
- If you are new to filing the RL-1 see this article HERE to help you prep
Creating a T4 or T4A
To produce year-end tax documents like T4, T4A and RL-1 slips for your employees follow these directions:
- Login into your payroll account. Select ACTIONS in the menu bar then YEAR END
- You'll see the steps necessary to generate these year-end tax forms at the top. In general, you'll first review your payroll year-to-date figures, generate (and submit) your T4, T4A (if applicable) and RL-1 (if applicable).
- Confirm your payroll year and review your YTD numbers. The click Create/View T4 (T4A)
- Follow the steps down the left side (they will appear as you go)
- Generate T4/T4A slips
- Review and validate: make any adjustments, add any custom benefits or amounts in the 'other information' boxes at the bottom, and use dropdown to select an employee to view. You may want to consult the CRA guide if you are entering custom box numbers and amounts: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/slps/t4slip/thr-eng.html
- If you need to manually add a T4 slip - click the button "ADD T4" and fill out the form manually and click Save.
- Click Generate T4 Summary (for your company). Fill out the information requested for your T4 Summary
- Enter the social insurance number of the owner / proprietor of the business (if applicable)
- Enter the total amount remitted YTD to the Canada Revenue Agency (and make note of the "amount owed" field). You can find this through the My Business portal on the CRA website or you may need to call them. This is your confirmation of what CRA has reported receiving.
- Click Save
- Your T4 reports are now ready for submission. You can download your report in XML to submit electronically (preferred) or print the reports to mail them in.
- Once you have submitted to CRA Publish the T4 slips to your employee portal on https://PayChequer.com. Your employees will have full online access to the T4 slips without you needing to print and distribute them.
- If you have any subcontractors in your profile, you'll see the option to create T4A slips. Follow the same process to create the return.
- If you have any Québec based employees in your profile, you'll see the option to create RL-1 slips. Follow the same process to create the return and see below for submitting to Revenu Québec.
Submitting T4, T4A and summaries to the CRA
Electronic Submission T4/T4A
- To send your T4 reports electronically, click on the Download XML FILE link to download the file necessary for electronic submission to the CRA.
- Now visit the CRA site and log in to the 'My Business' portal and navigate to the PAYROLL area and tap/click 'File a return':
- Select 'Internet File Transfer':
- Upload your file:
- You'll receive a verification notice from the CRA site:
- Download the PDF format of your T4/T4A and select for submission to government
- Sign your Summary page
- Mail to
Post Office Box 1300 LCD Jonquière
Jonquière QC G7S 0L5
Creating your RL-1 slips and summary
- Generate your RL-1 slips
- Enter your company RL-1 summary details. Use this guide HERE for help with the RL-1 summary
- Download the RL-1 XML file / PDF if you are submitting the data directly to Revenu Quebec.
- Alternatively, if you have entered an XML submitter number in your RL-1 summary details, you can submit directly click on step 5. **NOTE this option will only submit employee slips, you still need to submit your company summary to Revenue Quebec.
Submitting your RL-1 Slips and Summary
If you have not submitted directly through your payroll profile
- Visit the Revenu Québec site to transmit your RL-1 slips online. Tap 'Access Service':
- Follow the on screen prompts to submit your XML file. You'll need your transmitter number and business identification number. If you do not have these, you can apply for them from the site directly.
- After you submit your slips electronically download the PDF file of the RL-1 Summary and mail this in to Revenu Quebec using the addresses HERE
PLEASE NOTE: In order to submit RL slips electronically, each business requires a transmitter number. This transmitter number may vary from year to year. You should receive this number directly from Revenu Quebec.
Existing businesses who have submitted RL forms to Revenu Quebec in the past will also have received slip numbers. You will need your transmitter number and your slip number to submit your RL forms.
To obtain a transmitter number, please visit the Revenu Quebec site and submit an ED-430-V form. Revenu Quebec will then respond with your transmitter number.
Accessing T4, T4A, RL-1 reports after submitting
Once you've created the T4 and other reports, you can always go back the REPORTS>YEARLY>TAX FILINGS to view/print/download the PDF and XML file again.