If an employee is leaving your payroll, you can use the system to "terminate" their employment. You'll use this if an employee ceases work with you, goes on maternity leave or in any case that requires you to generate a Record of Employment for them. Please remember to first pay out any outstanding payroll, vacation or any other amounts owing prior to terminating.
**Please check with your accountant/labour standards or CRA if you are required to make any severance payments.
- Login to your payroll account and navigate to EMPLOYEES -> click the Terminate button beside the employee name
- If you have any outstanding vacation accrued for the employee, you'll see a warning message:
Cancel and go back to the RUN PAYROLL screens to pay out the outstanding vacation first before proceeding. For instructions to pay out ALL vacation amounts please see this article HERE and follow instructions on #5. If you are on any of our paid plans, please use the "special" payroll type for this extra run.
- Once you've cleared any outstanding vacation - specify the reason for leaving and the termination date.
- You'll now be able to view the Record of Employment for the employee by clicking YES on this pop-up.
- To submit your ROE to Service Canada (REQUIRED) - follow the steps in our ROE guide