Record of Employment (ROE)

en français

Updated Jan 9, 2019

Record of Employment

You can generate a record of employment (ROE) for any terminated employees using your Payroll account. To get started, login to your account and navigate to EMPLOYEES and click the terminate icon (T/R) beside the employee you wish to generate the ROE for.

Before you terminate an employee, you should pay out any accrued vacation amounts


Please note that Service Canada has phased out the Laser ROE program (printing and mailing a ROE). You should consider submitting your Records of Employment electronically. Your payroll account provides a simple way for you to do this all online.

As part of the termination process, you will be asked if you would like to generate a Record of Employment (ROE). 


If you select yes, you will be presented with the ROE where you can make any adjustments or manual changes: 


You can also access the ROE by viewing the terminated employee from the EMPLOYEE area: 


If you need to make any adjustments, make sure you follow the Service Canada guide on manipulating the individual fields. After you make any adjustments and click SAVE, the system will generate the files needed for electronic submission on the Service Canada website: 



The DOWNLOAD button will now allow you to locally download the electronic file. You can now follow the instructions on the Service Canada website to securely submit the Record of Employment (a detailed walkthrough of the process is posted at


The file extension should be .BLK only - certain browsers may add .XML and this will need to be removed before you can upload to the Service Canada website.

Service Canada will assign a serial number to the file upon upload, we are not able to do this for you.

PRINT will allow you to print a local copy (but remember this print out is only for your own use and cannot be used for submission to Service Canada)


Submitting the ROE online to Service Canada

To submit your file to Service Canada, go to their ROE website and login with your Service Canada credentials. If you do not have them, you can apply to receive them for your business.

At the main menu for ROE Web, select ROE Payroll Extract:

Select Upload:


Accept the legal disclosure and select the BLK file you downloaded from Payroll:


Your file will now be transferred and processed:


You can check the status of your file by selecting VIEW:


Once accepted, you'll be able to see the submission online and your former employee will be able to apply for Service Canada programs.

Was this article helpful?
3 out of 3 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request