What is CRHP?
The Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP) is a hiring subsidy which supports employers with a subsidy of up to 50% on incremental remuneration paid to eligible working employees (I.e. the portion of remuneration exceeding the remuneration of the baseline period). It will be offered from June 6, 2021, to November 20, 2021, to qualifying employers who have seen a drop in revenue due to COVID-19. During the periods where applicants are eligible for the CEWS, they will have the choice of benefiting from either the CRHP or the CEWS with a declining rate.
CEWS or CRHP, which to apply for?
The great news is that the CRA spreadsheet and online calculator for CEWS will clearly show you which subsidy will provide you with a better return. For more information on the comparison between the 2 subsidies see HERE. The two subsidies overlap for periods 17-20, while CRHP will continue on after period 20 when CEWS ends.
Who is eligible for CRHP?
To be eligible for CRHP you must meet all the eligibility requirements for CEWS AND a for-profit corporation or partnership, with some restrictions.
See HERE for full eligibility criteria.
How do I apply?
- Download in XLS your CEWS Pay Explorer report for period 14. This is your base period that you will need to enter for the CRHP calculation.
- Download your CEWS Pay Explorer report for the period you want to apply for. The Pay Explorer CEWS report can be found by following the instructions HERE
- Download the calculation spreadsheet from CRA HERE.
- Fill in your calculation sheet
- Step 1) Rates:
- Choose your Period, must be Period 17 or later
- Choose your baseline option (this will be the same as you used for CEWS)
- Enter your revenue from the requested periods
- Step 2a)Weekly (53)- use this sheet regardless of your pay frequency
- Enter your employee information from your report from Step 2 (CEWS Pay Explorer for the period you want to apply for)
- Step 3a) CRHP base Weekly
- Enter your amounts from your Period 14 report from Step 1, CEWS Pay Explorer
- Step 4) Amounts to use- This will tell you whether you are better off using CEWS or CRHP
- Use this information to apply to CRA HERE